File a claim

Performance Guarantee refund request

If you have experienced a service failure, which entitles you to a refund because of a Performance Guarantee (applies to EXP, QuickPak and PetSafe® shipments), the following policies apply:

  • Performance Guarantee claims requests must be submitted within seven days of the promised time of availability.
  • Tariff refund amounts are based on the weight, rate, and tax, where applicable.
  • Fuel surcharge, freight processing and any accessorial fees are not refundable.
  • United Cargo EXP shipments must be paid in full before a refund claim can be processed.
  • Tariff refunds are valid on flight movement only, not on the time the shipment is available at destination.
  • If a trucking segment is involved in the routing, the EXP service guarantee applies only to the flown segment(s) in the itinerary.

Loss or damage claim1

As with any transportation service, at times damage or loss may occur. Before a claim can be processed, all transportation charges for the shipment involved must be paid. The amount of the claim may not be deducted from the charges due, except where the consignee has received no part of the shipment.

In the case of loss, damage or delay of cargo, a Notice of Intent to Claim or Formal Claim must be made to United by the person entitled to delivery. Such complaint must be made:

  • In the case of concealed or visible damage to the freight, immediately after discovery of the damage and at the latest within 14 days from the date of receipt of the cargo
  • In the case of non-delivery of the cargo, within 120 days from the date of issue of the Air Waybill, or if an Air Waybill has not been issued, within 120 days from the date of receipt of the cargo for transportation by United
  • Such complaint may be made to United or to the carrier that performed the carriage during which the loss, damage or delay took place

If you are not able to submit a claim within 14 days, you can file a "notice of intent" to extend the time frame.

1 If you cannot submit a loss or damage claim through our website, you may also request a form by the following methods:

  • Email:
    An automated reply will be sent to you containing the form and information.
  • Download the PDF
  • Information related to loss or damage can also be found in the Domestic or International Conditions of Contract located on the reverse side of the air waybill.